Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs???

Isn't it interesting how God can teach us something profound when we least expect it? Like the time I was almost asleep in Jr. Hi English and I suddenly heard the teacher say, "Regis, name two pronouns." I blurted out, "Who me?" And the teacher said "That's correct. You're doing much better in this class." OK, that didn't really happen, but you get the idea.

My immediate plan for retirement was to unpack, get a part time job, and then find a ministry. I was sure there would be no problem finding a job. I mean, all I wanted was an entry level position in any retail, food service or other local business where I could rub shoulders with non-Christians. Minimum wage, part time, available anytime but Sunday morning. I was sure I could get work whenever I wanted it. After all, when was the last time you ate at a fast food restaurant and they weren't advertising for help. In fact, I have always been sure jobs are there for the asking. At least the entry level jobs. I've been so sure of that fact that I have often looked at those without jobs as either lazy or unmotivated or both.

So at the end of March, I completed applications online for the two places I most wanted to work--Lowes and Home Depot. I told them I'd be available on April 2, and I fully expected a call by the 3rd. We have been in Lynchburg now for 4 weeks, and I have completed applications for every major chain store and restaurant I can think of. Nothing. Isn't that amazing? No one wants a dedicated, hard-working, ethical, retiree with at least some people skills to fill a part time position.

Know what it has taught me? Never, never, never judge a person until you have walked their path. I have a special softness in my heart now for those who are struggling without skills to find an entry level job to support them. Maybe this economy is worse than I thought. Or maybe it is a factor of how applications are filled out. Or maybe some part of their personal profile is not appealing (age, experience of lack thereof?). Whatever the reason, I finally understand that there are probably a lot more people out there who want to work than there are jobs to sustain them. And that is a tragedy.

Here's what I am going to do about my own predicament. I'm done filling out applications online. I have always sold myself eyeball to eyeball, and that is what I plan to do starting Monday. That's when Sam (the lady who is in charge of hiring at the nearby Lowes) is due back in her office. I plan to meet her when she arrives and tell her how much I want to work for her, how great an employee I would be, how conscientious I am about details, how much experience I have had with people, and how I love tools and home improvement.

So if you think of me Monday morning, say a little prayer asking the Lord to give me the right words and attitude...and if it is His desire, to get me a job interview at Lowes.

God, forgive me for judging those without a job and assuming I know more than they about their lives. And be with every person who today wants a job that will supply their needs and lift their sense of self-worth. Fill every void in their lives and supply every need until you place them in a job that will be a blessing to them. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post and I have put your site on my favorites list. For what its worth, nobody gets hired by an online application. Your right on going in face to face. Good luck, I will be praying for you in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your first entry on your blog. Wow what a good writer you are. I know what you mean about there not being enough jobs to support all those people without skills but who want to work. It is just humbling and should make us turn to our Father and thank him for the blessings that He has given us. :-)
    ~Elyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of makes me think of how mine and Blaine's eyes were open to the non-churched, when we started going to random churches. Its a little intimidating to go to an unfamiliar church, and now we understand why it is so important to build relationships.

    Thanks for offering yourself through this blog. I will be praying for you job search, and that you continued to be encouraged and inspired to keep up with the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! Im so glad that you have started this!

    Erik and I will be praying for you!

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete